Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Do you wear your seat belt in a cab?

via

So yesterday my mother and I took an undisclosed cab to her doctor's appointment at the Toronto Western Hospital. The cab guy's personality towards us was neutral, i.e neither thrilled nor disappointed to have us as his car-mates.

I get really nervous about cabbing in Toronto because of the speeding and rogue natures of many of my cab experiences here. His driving however was a true Nightmare on King Street:

  • He was talking on the phone while driving.
  • Rushing through traffic and almost going through reds lights.
  • Speeding.
It got me thinking, do people generally wear their seat-belts when you're a the back of a cab? Because I have rarely done so and I'm not sure why not especially given the discomfort I tend to feel in them. 

I hate to say it but I think a huge reason for me is that I've never actually seen someone wearing one in a cab before and it's influenced me to think that's normal, same with a limousine. Also, I'm a bit paranoid about being in a cab alone and getting kidnapped by the driver- I mean how can I escape if my seatbelt is one? They sometimes lock you know :D.

Okay, perhaps that's a dumb reason not to.

Moral of the story: 
  1. Wear your seatbelt at ALL times and 
  2. You can tell your driver to slow down if you're uncomfortable with the driving - afterall, you are a paying customer you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment