Thursday, December 22, 2011

The Help


When The Help was released earlier this year, I really didn't want to watch it because I assumed it would be one of those hard to watch flicks. A friend suggested we watch it since he hadn't either.


The Help is a comedy-drama film adaptation of Kathryn Stockett's novel. The film is a story about a young white woman, Eugenia "Skeeter", and her relationship with two black maids during Civil Rights era America in the early 1960s. Skeeter is a journalist who decides to write a controversial book from the point of view of the maids (known as the Help), exposing the racism they are faced with as they work for white families.

It turned out to be one of the best films I've watched this year. I of course teared up through out most of the movie but it was honestly not just filled with tears of sadness but had plenty of humour and sweetness! I recommend it (maybe you could even watch it over the holiday season).

My favourite line: "You is kind. You is smart. You is important."

Check out the trailer here.


No comments:

Post a Comment