Thursday, March 3, 2011

Cutting Tradition through TIFF

I went to the Canteen once again this evening. It feels like I'm soon becoming a regular there :). I had the maple roasted squash served with mozzarella, balsamic, sage and a grilled lemon and herb chicken. So delicious.

It was my first time however to go for a film at the TIFF Bell Lightbox since it opened. My girlfriend asked me to check out the premiere of a friend's film. The Cutting Tradition narrated by Meryl Streep is a production of Safe Hands. This documentary is about the female genital mutilation in Africa. It had such powerful visual effects- very disturbing graphics, but powerful. Although I found it to be a well done film, it was definitely hard to watch. I chose to ask a provocative question and make a bold statement because I was upset by some of the ignorant comments that were being made throughout the Q & A. I dislike it when as people we create a "them" and an "us" especially when "they" aren't in the room to defend or speak for themselves.

Overall, such an exceptional evening and I really enjoyed spending time with my friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment